Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins



Guys! I've got big news/blog changes coming soon, like next week (I hope). New address, new look! Get excited. On to the muffins slash my life. 
This past weekend was the first "normal" weekend I, personally, have had since the middle of June. Which seems insane. I actually had Saturday and Sunday off and wasn't traveling. Besides my husband working, it was so close to being a perfect weekend.
What makes a perfect weekend you ask? Reconnected with friends, yoga, the farmers market, fresh flowers, a great dinner out, karaoke (busted out with Vanilla Ice and Maroon 5 obvs), church and paddle boarding and a lot of cooking. I still feel so refreshed and already it's Wednesday!
Thanks for letting me gush. Anyway, you'll be getting to see some of what I made this weekend later on (hello, thyme lemonade!) but until then let me woo you with these cinnamon rhubarb muffins.
The last time I used rhubarb I made this rhubarb compote ice cream amazingness. Lets be honest, that was a lot of work. Totally worth it... but this time we took the rhubarb recipe down a notch on the prep work.
By the way, shout out to my mom (and dad) for the rhubarb! THANKS! I picked it out of their garden when we were there.
Here we combine the basics, flower, eggs, butter, etc. with some greek yogurt and rhubarb. We also add cinnamon to the batter and cinnamon sugar to the top to really jazz it up. JAZZ HANDS.
Here's a secret, I made two batches of these in one day. Both were awesome. But, time for a secret, in the second batch I ran out of plain greek yogurt so I used this lemon honey greek yogurt I have and it was still totally delicious. Work with what you've got!
Also, I brought these to work and got some compliments so I'm not the only one that thought these were light, fluffy and delicious.
 Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins
makes 12 muffins
(from Fine Cooking)
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 granulated sugar
  • 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted and cooled
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups diced rhubarb (1/4 inch pieces)
Topping: 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon

To Make:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups or spray with non-stick spray.

2) In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. 

3) In another bowl combine the greek yogurt, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until combined, it will be fairly thick and sticky. Fold in the rhubarb.

4) Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. They should be pretty full when using all the batter, which is recommend. Top each muffin with 1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar topping (too much and it doesn't settle in while baking and just comes off when you get them out of the pan). 

5) Bake about 20 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in plan for about 5 minutes then let them cool on a rack. 

I enjoyed it served with butter and a little extra cinnamon sugar. Will keep for several days in airtight container. 

No comments: